During Year 4, our children are given the opportunity to make the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. This is a major part in the life of a Catholic. Though no one can replace the role of the parent in preparing your child for this special moment, you are not alone in this task.
The parish and school will always be ready to help and support. Our school, in its Religious Education lessons, will teach your child about Jesus, the Church, the Sacraments and especially about Reconciliation and Holy Communion.
St Charles' school and our parish community work very closely together to prepare the celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the First Holy Communion celebration, and parishioners will provide you and your family, along with other families, opportunities to participate in its life and to get to know your fellow parishioners better.
You will know that your child is ready to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation when in their own way they:
* know that God loves them and is always ready to forgive no matter what;
* know and understand what is meant by sin;
* are able to reflect on their own behaviour;
* they want to express sorrow and to make amends;
* and appreciate the place and importance of Reconciliation.
You will know that your child is ready to make their First Communion when in their own way they:
* know about Jesus, they pray to him and want to receive Communion with him and his church;
* show reverence and respect;
* know the difference between Holy Communion and ordinary food;
* be attentive and aware of what is happening during Mass;
* have some sense of belonging to the parish family.
Next year, if you would like your children to be registered on the programme please contact Fr Agley at St Charles’ Church nearer the time.